Resources and Recommendations
Links to things I think are good and/or helpful, sorted by topic. I will link to places to get free PDFs of books, if I can find them. I might link to specific pages within websites that are already recommended, if I think they're specifically good.
I know it's cringe to site YouTube videos basically anywhere, but some people do learn better than way. Use these videos only as a starting point and always, Always look into information to verify its validity. This goes for the books too, but obviously anybody with a computer can make a YouTube video.
★ = highly recommended
Obviously, there will be overlap with other topics presented on this page.
- Step Back // history content by a Canadian historian (a historian from Canada, not a historian who studied Canada. He studied the US, actually!). Incredibly easy to understand for those who aren't history buffs while still covering enough information for people who are ★
Paganism & Witchcraft
Occult related topics will also be sorted in this section, for the sake of convenience. Some stuff is historical, but recommended for those learning about paganism.
- [Website] Larhus Fyrnsida // Anglo-Saxon paganism website. Still looking into it, but it seems pretty good so far.
Anthropology + Academic Writing
It's typically good to have a bit of historical information! I'll note if anything is heavily academic though.
- [Website] Perseus Digital Library // For all your classics needs.
- [Book] The Tradition of Household Spirits: Ancestral Lore and Practices by Claude Lecouteux // Great overview of household worship, primarily in Europe. ★
- [Website] AWOL - The Ancient World Online // Database of academic articles on topics related to the ancient world and Classics.
- [Website] Charakteres // Information related to ancient magical practices and rituals.
- [Website] The Campbell Bonner Magical Gems Database // What it says on the tin.
- [Website] Trismegistos // Another ancient world database
- [Website] Digital LIMC // Classical mythology
- [Website] The Votives Project // Information on offerings across different time periods (including modern)
Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man
- [Website] Tairis // Information on Gaelic paganism, with a slight focus on Scotland ★
General Paganism + Witchcraft
- [Website] Internet Sacred Text Archive // Also linked in the religion section, but there are also texts related to paganism and witchcraft on this site. ★
- [Website] Sidjus Reidarje Sauilis // Still looking into it, but it seems like a decent resource so far.
- [Website] The Longship // goes over the basics of Heathenry, as an umbrella term.
- [Website] Theoi // Greek mythology database focusing on information about the gods (theoi) and heroes. Includes information related to their cultus. Fantastic resource! ★
- [Website] The Twisted Rope // Good info ★
- [Drive] Netjer (Google Drive) // Info on Egyptian gods
- [YouTube] Jackson Crawford's Channel // Scholar of Old Norse language and culture. ★
- [Organization] The Asatru Community // Norse pagan group
- [Book] The Way of Fire and Ice by Ryan Smith // Great introduction and overview of Norse paganism, highly recommended ★
- [Website] Twilit Grotto - Esoteric Archives // What it says on the tin, an archive of esoteric texts.
- [Website] Grimoar.cz // Occult texts library
- Philosophy Tube // probably the only time I ever enjoy hearing anybody discuss philosophy ★
Please do more than read theory though. Praxis is also important.
- [Website] The Anarchist Library // Archive of anarchist texts ★
- [Video] Capitalism makes sh!t products | Planned obsolescence and the inadequacy of market incentives. by Yugopnik
- [Video] Why Is Everything Turning Into Uber? by Second Thought
- [Video] How Capitalism Robs the Developing World by Second Thought
- [Video] How Capitalism Destroys Radical Movements by Second Thought ★
- [Video] The Middle Class doesn't exist | How a fabricated myth divided the working class. by Yugopnik ★
- [Video] Why You're Not “Middle Class” by Second Thought
- [Video] Capitalism Is Destroying Us - The New Climate Report by Second Thought
- [Video] How Fascists Are Taking Advantage Of Climate Change by Second Thought
Elections + Political Parties
- [Video] Why "Neither Left Nor Right" Just Means Right Wing | Bonapartism by Second Thought ★
- [Video] How "Moderates" Serve The Right by Second Thought
- [Video] Aesthetics of Evil - The Nazi Salute by Yugopnik
- [Video] Aesthetics of Evil - The Fascist uniform. by Yugopnik ★
- [Video] What If We Just...Stopped Working? by Second Thought
- [Video] Why Liberalism Won't Solve Anything by Second Thought
- [Website] Marxists Internet Archive // Archive of Marxist literature ★
- [Book(s)] Das Kapital by Karl Marx // Economics ★
- [Podcast] The Deprogram // very funny and very informative podcast, hosted by YouTubers Second Thought, Hakim and Yugopnik. Came for the politics, stayed for the homoeroticism. 10/10 ★
- [Video] Were The Nazis Socialist? by Second Thought ★
Property + Landlords
- [Video] Are Landlords Really That Bad? by Second Thought ★
Protests + Activism
- [Video] Why Peaceful Protest Won't Solve Anything by Second Thought
- [Video] Whitewashing 101: How To Rewrite Black History by Second Thought
- [Video] Can There Be Innovation Under Socialism? by Second Thought
- [Video] Why Would Anyone Work Under Socialism? by Second Thought ★
- [Video] Socialism for Absolute Beginners by Second Thought ★
- [Video] Why Do Socialists Care About Intersectional Liberation Movements? by Second Thought
- [Video] Why The US Is Not A Democracy by Second Thought ★
- [Video] Why are Americans so afraid of Socialism? The Red Scare analyzed. by Yugopnik
- [Video] Why Are Democrats Funding The Far Right? by Second Thought
- [Video] How Do Politicians Keep Getting So Rich? by Second Thought
- [Video] Why American Fascism Is On The Rise by Second Thought
- Yugopnik // political analysis. I like this guy a lot, overall ★
- Second Thought // very good, easy to digest socialist content. Great for sending to your boomer parents who think Bernie Sanders is a communist ★
- Hakim // Marxist content by an Iraqi Marxist-Leninist. Definitely a perspective I didn't even know I needed until I started watching/listening ★
- The Deprogram // channel for a great Marxist podcast hosted by YouTubers Second Thought, Hakim and Yugopnik ★
- The Gravel Institute // "Leftist PragerU". Not my favorite, but if you've got a family member who's into that Fox News, PragerU type of nonsense...a more liberal, center-left channel may be a better starting point than other channels I say "send these to your boomer parents" to
- Thought Slime // very funny, thoughtful leftist content. No star simply because this isn't a channel I'd recommend to people who aren't informed on socialist politics
- NonCompete // running out of things to say, help me. Anti-Capitalist, Anti-Imperialist YouTuber.
- Chill Goblin // another funny anarcho-communist from Canada. Seriously, he's like the third one on here so far.
- Renegade Cut // absolutely love this guy's content (though, no star because it is mostly media analysis)
Probably going to skew heavily Jewish, sorry.
- [Website] Internet Sacred Text Archive // What it says on the tin. Fantastic resource. ★
- [Website] Keshet // Website dedicated to LGBT equality. They have a directory of LGBT friendly synagogues, schools, rabbis, et cetera. ★
- [Book] Since Sinai by Shannon Gonyou // The author's journey as a convert to Judaism, including how she came to the decision and how the process went for her. Great book. ★
- [Organization] Jewish Voice for Peace // An organization dedicated to peace in Palestine and Israel
- [Book] Essential Judaism by George Robinson // In depth overview of Judaism and Jewish culture. Very dense, roughly 600 pages if I recall correctly, but incredibly worth reading ★
- Living Judaism by Wayne D. Dosick // Pretty good overview of Judaism
- [Website] Shinto Portal (Kokugakuin Univeristy) // Encyclopedia of information related to Shinto
- [Website] Shinto Religion // Neocities website about Shinto, still under construction. ★
- [Website] Gifcities // Database of gifs pulled from geocities websites ★
- [Carrd] xyz.crd.co // A collection of graphics (where these dividers are from!)
- [Website] Absolute Beginner's Guide to Neocities // This has been incredibly useful! ★